ERC NCP Info
On July 29th 2015, the European Research Council (ERC) published the 2016 work program outlining future calls for proposals. This work program was validated by the European Commission on July 28th, 2015.
Compared to the 2014 work program, this new program loosens restrictions concerning the re-submission of proposals. Candidates will be able to re-submit their proposal in 2016 if they received a B grade during the second step of the selection process in 2015.
The new work program also includes rules aimed at bolstering research integrity: Candidates whose proposals in 2014 or 2015 were refused for reasons of fraud will not be allowed to apply in 2016.
As last year, the ERC 2016 work program includes three calls for exploratory research proposals and one call for research valorization proposals (only for ERC laureates).
Starting Grant (StG)
The 2016 Starting grant call for proposals is aimed at researchers who obtained their PhD two to seven years before January 1st, 2016 (PhD awarded between January 1st, 2009 and December 31st, 2013).
- Budget: 485 million euros (approximately 335 grants)
- Funding per grant : 1.5 million euros over five years
- Call opens: July 29th, 2015
- Deadline: November 17th, 2015
Consolidator Grant (CoG)
The 2016 Consolidator grant call for proposals is aimed at researchers who obtained their PhD seven to twelve years before January 1st, 2016 (PhD awarded between January 1st, 2004 and December 31st, 2008).
- Budget: 605 million euros (approximately 335 grants)
- Funding per grant : 2 million euros over five years
- Call opens: October 15th, 2015
- Deadline: February 2nd, 2016
Advanced Grant (AdG)
The 2016 Advanced grant call for proposals is aimed at experienced researchers who are recognized in their field and can demonstrate a strong track record over the past ten years.
- Budget: 540 million euros (approximately 235 grants)
- Funding per grant: 2.5 million euros over five years
- Call opens: May 24th, 2016
- Deadline: September 1st, 2016
Proof of Concept (PoC)
The 2016 Proof of Concept grant call for proposals is aimed at researchers who have already received ERC funding (StG, CoG, AdG or SyG).
This grant is designed to support the valorization of discoveries made during an ERC exploratory research project.
- Budget: 20 million euros (approximately 130 grants)
- Funding per grant: 150,000 euros over 18 months
- Call opens: October 22nd, 2015
- Deadlines: February 16th, 2016; May 26th, 2016; and October 4th, 2016
NPC sources: www.horizon2020.gouv.fr